HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Bad words are good for your health?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Maimed

PostSubject: Bad words are good for your health?   Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:29 pm

There's bad news for pain relievers, but good news for potty mouths. A study published online yesterday for the August 5 edition of NeuroReport said that using curse words in response to pain, increased tolerance for it. The idea for the study came about when Dr. Richard Stephens of Keele University used an expletive after hitting his thumb with a hammer during construction of a shed in his garden. Three researchers at Keele University's School of Psychology in England enlisted 64 volunteers to place their hands in ice cold water for as long as they could while repeating a swear word of their choice. They performed the exercise again, but repeated a random word chosen to describe a table. The results showed that with a swear word, the subjects were able to keep their hands submerged almost twice as long, averaging nearly two minutes using an expletive, while only a minute and fifteen seconds saying the table descriptor.

The researchers were surprised by the results. They expected pain tolerance to decrease not improve, theorizing that swearing would exaggerate the severity of the pain. But it appears the opposite happened. Dr. Stephens believes swearing triggers both an emotional and physical response to help cope with pain. The results showed that swearing accelerated heart rates and increased aggression, triggering a natural 'fight-or-flight' response to handle pain. Dr. Stephens warned though, "If they want to use this pain-lessening effect to their advantage, they need to do less casual swearing and only do it when they really need it." (Ah, okay. Save 'em up. Thanks doc.)

As a child, my mother required that I pay into a swear jar. The temporary relief I may have felt by cursing only lead to financial pain. The payment plan was better than the alternative: place bar of soap in mouth; lather, rinse, and repeat. So how does one swear and not offend others? Hmm. That's a darn tough predicament. If only I knew the pronunciation of @&*#!, I could say that instead. In any case, maybe there is a breakthrough from this study. If these researchers are correct, the take two aspirin adage may be deemed obsolete. Doctors may prescribe "oral" pain relief in a different way. The new remedy may be "Swear twice and call me in the morning."

Robert Paetsch
Staff Writer
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Bad words are good for your health?
Page 1 of 1